UK enters National Lockdown - Message to local residents
The UK is now in national lockdown, with coronavirus cases rising rapidly across the country...
Peter Taylor, Elected Mayor of Watford:
Due to the rapid spread of the new strain of Covid-19 which is putting our NHS under impossible pressure, a further period of national lockdown has been announced by Government. This comes in play from midnight tonight.
Although we have light at the end of the tunnel with the rollout of new vaccines, this new more infectious variant of the virus means we have very high infection rates locally. We must redouble our efforts to eradicate this virus and protect each other and our NHS and other keyworkers who are putting their lives on the line every day.
We must all do our bit to eradicate this virus and protect each other and our NHS and other keyworkers who are putting their lives on the line every day.
All the evidence we have about the pandemic shows the only way to drive down the numbers is to limit contact between households, self-isolate if you test positive or have come into contact with anyone who has tested positive, wash your hands, wear a mask where necessary and keep a 2m distance from others not in your household.
You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary.
- You may leave the home to shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
- You must work at home if you can
- You can exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (outdoors only) once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
- Colleges, primary and secondary schools will remain open only for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term.
- Nurseries for younger children remain open.
- People who were asked to shield before must do so again - you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work
We will share more information on the lockdown as we have it. All up to date information and details for how you can access support if you are shielding or self-isolating can be found at: www.watford.gov.uk/coronavirus
Covid is having an impact on all of us. If you, or someone you know, needs support in these areas: financial advice, support of older people, food banks, citizens advice, homelessness and mental health services, please visit www.watford.gov.uk/watfordhelps